Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Cleaning Struggles


This was something I knew was going happen.

I tried to ignore the signs of it, but deep down, I knew it would play out this way.

...Mr. Cap won't do housework.

He'll cook and clean the dishes, so it's not a total lost cause! But anything extending past the kitchen seems to be completely off his radar. 

I'm trying a tatic currently of splitting the house in half--if you get the top floor, you have to do all cleaning (in that area) as well as laundry. If you get the bottom floor, you have to do all cleaning (in that area) as well as the cooking.

Last week I had the top floor and dutifully vacuumed, cleaned the bathroom, and went to the laundromat (which might be another post in itself. I have very bad feelings towards the laundromat for some reason). Mr. Cap cooked food! ...and stopped there. I will give him props in that he furiously vacuumed the 1st floor when he realized we were about to have company on Sunday evening. But the bathroom was never touched (again, something that seems to not even register with him).

This week I have the duties of the 1st floor and he has the 2nd floor. I'm really hoping he does the laundry. If we go a week without that, the load the following week (my week) will be outrageous. I don't even know how two people produce so much dirty clothing in only 7 days... 

In all, I'm feel rather disheartened that the cleaning has all been falling on my shoulders. He hasn't done any of the laundry since we moved (and all of it has to be done at the laundromat or my parents' house since we still don't have a washer/dryer). I really appreciate him being willing to cook, but I feel like the trade-off isn't very well divided. We both work full time jobs 5 days a week, and we both have activities that happen on weeknights (so we're out of the house longer than a normal 9-5 day). I've been managing to handle the cleaning, but it's been making me feel really negative towards him. And I don't want that. 

Mr. Cap always talks as though he prides himself on being very pro-woman, but I think he spent too much time in his mother-run household. Even if he thinks he respects me as an equal, I really feel as though he also expects me to take care of almost everything in our living space. The fact that cleaning his living space isn't even on his radar of life events shows me that he's far too used to being catered to by his mother. 

I really don't want to become his mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment