Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Feeling a Little Defeated

It seems that fewer and fewer homes are showing up on the market, recently. Which I'm sure is due to the time of the year. However, I was hoping that we might be able to find something before this point...but still, no luck.

We're trying to keep ourselves to a budget when buying a home--that's the correct course of action, right? But everything that piques our interest is either just barely out of our budget range, or is gone before we even have a chance to look at the place.

Other buildings that look like they'd fit our criteria are way over-priced. I can't get a decent mortgage idea on them because I don't know how much the owners will actually sell for.

I'm still struggling to understand why some people put their houses way over market value. To my understanding, if the house doesn't appraise to what you agreed to pay, then the buyer has to make up the difference. So if a house is $100k over-priced, is and buyer really expected to drop that kind of money?

I suppose if they want the house that badly, it's their own choice. But I don't understand the people that never drop the price (or raise it) when they find they aren't selling.

We looked at one little house over the weekend that was kind of cute--and also over $50k out of our price range. But the assessed value of the house was well within our price range. And the owners had already dropped the price by $20k. I'm not sure why it's thought that people will pay so much more than the actual value.

I'm really feeling defeated today, and I sort of want to give up looking for awhile. Mr. Cap hasn't been especialy helpful recently, and he still seems more than happy to continue to live out our life in my parents' basement. 

I don't feel like I have a "home" in the basement. I can't do anything to it that makes it feel like mine--and most of our possessions are stored away in a container in a warehouse somewhere. I'm frustrated that we haven't had more success.

Once again, I feel like Mr. Cap is concentrating on very different areas of life than I am. He's currently making an attempt to find a friend-group--which I think is a really good thing for him. But it's hard to measure what's more important--going out with new friends, or actually checking out houses when we have soem time together. We've had to put off/cancel more than one showing because he had "plans" on that night. 

It feels like I'm fighting a losing battle most days. 

I know eventually we'll move out--we don't have much choice in the matter, after all, since my family is planning on selling the house next year and it's not like we could afford to buy it. But I wish he felt the same sense of urgency that I do. It's like the clock is ticking down, and he's putting on headphones to try to avoid the sound. The same result is going to happen, whether or not he pays attention to it--we're going to have to move. Whether it's into a home or into a shack is for him to decide. Tomorrow we're going to talk (together. for the first time.) to the mortgage broker, so we can sort of force Mr. Cap into accepting that he's a part of this process. The broker no longer feels comfortable with him making changes to the plans from the sidelines, and passing those changes on to her through me. So we shall see what comes of this.

I'm nervous, but I hope that everything will work out in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment